Show Trailer – “What we talk about when we talk about indie books“
Explore the expanding universe of indie books. Find your next read or learn the ins and outs of indie publishing with Emma G. Rose and Shelley Shearer.
Emma G. Rose is the owner of Imperative Press Books, a publishing house that amplifies niche voices. She is also the author of contemporary fantasy and works of mythological weirdness, including Nothing’s Ever Lost, Near-Life Experience, and *soon* Assembling Ella (July 2021).
Shelley Shearer is a writer of cozy mysteries and urban fantasy. Look for her first novel, Menace at Meeple Manor, soon. It’s the first in the Board Game Cafe Mysteries series. In the meantime, read her work in the Black Market Anthology.
What we talk about:
- Insight from indie authors
- Indie book reviews
- Guidance for publishing indie
- The latest publishing news
- NEW – On air critiques
Find us on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Breaker, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Overcast, Pocket Casts, RadioPublic…or your favorite podcast distributor.
- Jesse Salvo is the author of Blue Rhinoceros, and the Senior Fiction Editor for Bull Magazine. He talks to us about being in American Living in Spain, lessons learned from the slush pile and his unique process for writing a novel. There's a lot of laughing and plenty of literature. Maudlin House: maudlinhouse.net/author/jesse-salvo/
- Nigerian author Nenny May has taught herself everything she knows about marketing. She's honed her process through trial and error on four books. She talks with us about how Amazon Ads didn't work for her, and what she does instead. Keep an eye out for her YA novel, The Return, available in January 2023. Nenny's […]
- Despite the title of his new novel, Ian M. Rogers did NOT write it as an MFA Thesis. It's the book he started months after graduating to explore his feelings about creativity and writing in academic settings. He talks to us about sharing a name with another famous writer and what nails have to do […]
- Jenna Lee is an Australian author and the founder of the Daring Press. She coordinates a small team of authors' assistants to support indie authors who are committed to the business of writing. We talk to her about how to find a good assistant, the right time to hire one, and what assistants can do […]
- Amit Verma, author of The Quiver in the Purlieu, explains how sales of his book help support the Cheetah Conservation Fund. Animal rights is his passion. Writing is what he does when a story seizes him and won't let go. Hear all about it. Madville Publishing: madvillepublishing.com/portfolio/a-quiver-in-the-purlieu/ Donate: cheetah.org/donate/ Get the Book (Affiliate link): https://bookshop.org/a/23161/9781948692687
Be a Guest or Get Reviewed
Are you an indie author? Would you like us to review your book? We’re looking for entertaining works of fiction in all genres. See book submission guidelines in the *important* note below.
NEW! Get honest, helpful feedback on your work in progress. We’ll read up to 3000 words and provide a thoughtful, writer’s group style critique on our podcast. Plus, you’ll get our written notes to reference as you revise.
Want to be a guest? If you are an indie author or you work with them and have insight to share, we’d love to have you as a guest. We’re looking for:
- book marketers
- social media managers
See our guest application below ⬇️ .
Important: We only review indie books, that is, books published by small press, hybrid press, or indie authors.
Books must be fiction. We prefer fantasy, sci-fi, and mystery, but will happily read any fiction genre. We don’t publish negative reviews, so even if your book is accepted, there’s a chance it won’t end up on the show.
Please query before sending any books, drafts, or manuscripts.
Submitting for On Air Critique: Include the phrase “On Air Critique” in the title field. Include a link to a Google Doc or Dropbox doc in the Where Can We Find It? field.
Use this form to submit books for review or sections for on air critique