Show Trailer – “What we talk about when we talk about indie books“
Explore the expanding universe of indie books. Find your next read or learn the ins and outs of indie publishing with Emma G. Rose and Shelley Shearer.
Emma G. Rose is the owner of Imperative Press Books, a publishing house that amplifies niche voices. She is also the author of contemporary fantasy and works of mythological weirdness, including Nothing’s Ever Lost, Near-Life Experience, and *soon* Assembling Ella (July 2021).
Shelley Shearer is a writer of cozy mysteries and urban fantasy. Look for her first novel, Menace at Meeple Manor, soon. It’s the first in the Board Game Cafe Mysteries series. In the meantime, read her work in the Black Market Anthology.
What we talk about:
- Insight from indie authors
- Indie book reviews
- Guidance for publishing indie
- The latest publishing news
- NEW – On air critiques
Find us on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Breaker, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Overcast, Pocket Casts, RadioPublic…or your favorite podcast distributor.
- Dave Baker drew Nicole Goux into the world of indie comics more than six years ago. Together they've written and drawn dozens of books, and attended hundreds of conventions. Hear how their indie adventures drew the attention of Dark Horse, D.C., and Simon and Schuster. More about Dave: heydavebaker.com More about Nicole: nicolegoux.com Their new […]
- Two more brave writers have shared their work with us, and we're going to critique it on air for you. Think of it as a virtual writer's group. Like this critique? Want to share your stories? Visit our podcast page at imperativepressbooks.com Thank you to Amanda Sharp and Amelia Loken for sharing their first chapters […]
- We talk to Elissa Dickey about being published by an Amazon imprint (no we're not talking about KDP). Her mission to help people understand life with MS. Her website: https://elissaadickey.wordpress.com/
- Emma and Shelley compare their reactions to The Sense of Death: An Anne Kinnear Mystery Thriller from Matty Dalrymple. The first book in her Ann Kinnear series. Spoiler alert! They loved it. Learn more about Matty: https://www.mattydalrymple.com/ Get the book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GW9DUVY/
- Two brave souls sent in their writing…and we critiqued it. Think of this as a virtual writer's group. Featuring: The Gracelynn Doe by V. George & Demon Curse by Marie Flynn Like this critique? Want to share your stories? Visit our podcast page at imperativepressbooks.com
Be a Guest or Get Reviewed
Are you an indie author? Would you like us to review your book? We’re looking for entertaining works of fiction in all genres. See book submission guidelines in the *important* note below.
NEW! Get honest, helpful feedback on your work in progress. We’ll read up to 3000 words and provide a thoughtful, writer’s group style critique on our podcast. Plus, you’ll get our written notes to reference as you revise.
Want to be a guest? If you are an indie author or you work with them and have insight to share, we’d love to have you as a guest. We’re looking for:
- book marketers
- social media managers
See our guest application below ⬇️ .
Important: We only review indie books, that is, books published by small press, hybrid press, or indie authors.
Books must be fiction. We prefer fantasy, sci-fi, and mystery, but will happily read any fiction genre. We don’t publish negative reviews, so even if your book is accepted, there’s a chance it won’t end up on the show.
Please query before sending any books, drafts, or manuscripts.
Submitting for On Air Critique: Include the phrase “On Air Critique” in the title field. Include a link to a Google Doc or Dropbox doc in the Where Can We Find It? field.
Use this form to submit books for review or sections for on air critique